We’re reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you can’t generate enough speed on your golf driver, it can lead to a lot of sliced balls with low launch. In this guide, I’ll go over the absolute best drivers for slow swing speeds in all situations.
Below, I have:
- 10 drivers for all golfers looking at different options
- Key features in each golf club
- How to buy each driver for slow swing speeds
- Complete driver reviews and overview of each club
The reality of golf is that most golfers are who not low handicap or professional players, have a slow swing speed. If you try and swing harder, you will most likely end up hitting the golf ball worse.
Below I go over the best drivers for a slow swing speed. I’ll also recommend golf clubs with key features such as a good center of gravity, adjustable hosel and maximum forgiveness out on the course.
Review of the Best Drivers
TaylorMade Stealth HD
Best Premium Driver for Slow Swing Speeds
- 60x Carbon Face is 40% lighter and 10% bigger providing a bigger sweet spot
- High Draw option helps to minimize slice and give maximum forgiveness off the tee
- Inertia generator help increase swing speed during your downswing
The key drawback to the TaylorMade Stealth HD driver is the price tag. It is by far the most expensive driver out of the new Stealth series and quite a bit more expensive than the other options on this list. It also may not be the most forgiving driver for amateur golfers that have slower swing speeds.
Of the three models available for the new TaylorMade Stealth Series, the HD model is the best one available for golfers with a slower swing speed.
The Stealth HD model has the highest MOI available which will provide the best ball speed off the face of the club. As well, the HD (stands for High Draw) has a built in draw design that helps to minimize a golfer’s slice and provide maximum forgiveness on every shot.
The new 60x Carbon Face is topped by a layer of polyurethane which helps the increase the ball speed off the face. By having the carbon face, it actually makes the club about 40% lighter but a 10% larger head than the SIM driver which definitely increases the sweet spot on the club.
The larger face will also help your launch angle By having the larger face, it will also provide that much more forgiveness on mishits. The new Stealth drivers also come with an asymmetric inertia generator which helps create speed at impact. This will help increase your swing speed during your downswing for those with a slower swing speed.
- The 60X Carbon Twist Face is encased by a polyurethane cover, featuring a revolutionary new nanotexture technology. The nanotexture cover is used to fine tune launch and spin to optimize total distance regardless of playing conditions.
- The weight savings of the 60x Carbon Twist Face has allowed more weight to be positioned low and deep in the head, this will add 15% more MOI compared to Stealth Plus+.
- The Inertia Generator remains the foundational source of refined aerodynamic properties. The result is a slippery-fast head shape that aids in swing speed generation on the downswing for golfers at every level.
- Our most flexible Speed Pocket design engineered to maximize ball speeds and produce additional forgiveness on low face strikes.
Best Beginner Driver for a Slow Swing Speed
- Twist face design helps you hit the golf ball further and straighter
- Solid and explosive sound off the tee
- 67% larger sweet spot than the last generation of TaylorMade drivers
The stock shafts that comes pre-equipped is very light, so it may take some getting used to. It is made for golfers with a slow swing speed, but you may find that it flexes a little too much and may throw your swing out of loop.
The TaylorMade M4 is the brand’s beginner driver, with extra bias added in to the club to help you hit the ball straighter. You won’t see any many new features on this club vs the new Stealth or SIM2, but this is still a strongly made club and great for beginner’s golfers with slow swing speeds.
The M4 has a hammerhead slot on it that is designed to increase ball speed and decrease spin off the tee. This will help adding weight on your downswing without sacrificing distance and the decreased spin will also minimize your slice. The TaylorMade M4 is definitely made for golfers with a slow swing speed of about 90 milers per hour or less. The stock shaftthat comes installed also has a lot of flex to help create ball speed at impact for maximum distance.
At a price of only $329 USD, you definitely can’t go wrong with this club. It doesn’t have all of the bells and whistles that the brand new drivers do, but it is packed with a punch for beginner golfers to help maximum distance and forgiveness off the tee.
- New face curvature w/corrective face angle on off center hits, to reduce side spin & deliver straighter shots. Provides more loft in high toe & less loft in low heel for more consistent spin
- Hammerhead slot: the reinforced outer portions of the slot allow for a lighter, more flexible face, resulting in a larger sweet spot
- The center portion of the slot increases ball speed low on the face and drops unwanted spin for more distance
- GEOCOUSTIC: Shaped for a solid and explosive sound. Reduced sole volume enables a larger, more forgiving face. Volume is 460CC
Highest Quality Design
- Unique aerodynamic club shape to help you get faster swing speeds
- All-titanium design
- Highest forgiveness from Titleist, which a high MOOI driver face
Titleist doesn’t pack as much slice and draw forgiveness into it’s base model. However, this is the perfect driver to learn how to correct your swing with and lower strokes the right way.
Titleist has made some very subtle but good improvements to the TSR2 driver compared to the old TSI2. The most significant change is the head redesign, which is more pear-shaped.
Titleist claims that this redesigned club head, along with the addition of the “boat tail” edge, allows you to create a little bit more club head speed during your swing. It looks different than anything else released recently.
Titleist moved the adjustable sure-fit weight from the head’s sole to the rear skirt on the TSR2. In doing so, the MOI has increased and there is a lot more forgiveness on every drive.
The new multi-plateau variable face technology builds the face inward, layer by layer, to create a constant characteristic time (CT) across the entire face. This means that the driver’s face produces great speed on every single hit, even mis-hits.
Titleist is an excellent choice for new golfers who want to high quality clubs without the gimmicks.
Callaway Rogue ST Max D
Best Distance for Slow Swing Speeds
- Tungsten weighted “speed cartridge” which helps increase club and ball speed
- Jailbreak technology designed with AI to make the whole club face forgiving
- Natural draw built in to combat the slice
Again, the key drawback for the Callaway Rogue ST Max D would be the price tag. It is not quite as expensive as the Stealth, but very comparable. Brand new golfers may not want to spend this much on a driver, but higher handicap slow swing golfers may find themselves quite rewarded by buying this.
The Callaway Rogue ST MAX D is designed for golfers who want high launch angles, as well as maximum forgivenessoff the tee.
The ST MAX D has internal and external draw weighting that aims to help golfers hit a high draw shape off the tee rather than the very common slice that most amateur golfers have. The MAX D is also larger than other Rogue ST models. Having such a big head does inspire some confidence off the tee, as it should give you distance even on mishits.
One other big feature in this driver is the huge MOI, which stands for moment of inertia. MOI is a measure of how stable the golf club is at impact. A high MOI means that a club is more forgiving, allowing you to hit the ball straighter and longer. All of these features help golfers with a slower swing speed as it will help drive the ball further and straighter off the tee.
- Rogue ST MAX D is built for a high level of draw bias, with high MOI, a more upright lie, reduced face progression, and a stretched profile. All these features promote maximum shot shape correction for players who tend to slice the ball.
- The groundbreaking new Tungsten Speed Cartridge structure places up to 20 grams low and deep in the driver head. This increases speed on off-center hits and provides more forgiveness through high MOI.
- Their patented A.I. designed Jailbreak Speed Frame provides stability in the horizontal and torsional direction. Callaway has speed tuned the construction, shaping, and positioning to deliver even more speed across the face.
- As the industry leader in Artificial Intelligence, Callaway added launch and spin to ball speed in our optimization formula. This new formula lowers spin on the face, allowing us to add forgiveness to the driver.
- Titanium unibody construction provides stability and lowers center of gravity, while our proprietary Triaxial Carbon crown and sole allow us to save weight. This weight is redistributed to increase forgiveness with high launch and a slight draw bias.
Cobra King Speedzone Xtreme
Easiest Driver to Hit
- Oversized club head is easier to swing and provides great ball speed
- Maximum forgiveness
- Adjustable hosel allows you to try out different lofts and track through the Cobra Companion app on how you hit each shot
I can’t think of any drawbacks with this perfect driver. It is very easy and forgiving to hit and the ball seems to explode off the face. It is also very reasonably priced so I would definitely recommend this to golfers with a slow swing speed looking to add some distance off the tee.
Just with like some of the other drivers on this list, the Cobra King Speedzone Xtreme is a previous generation club that is catered a little more towards the high handicapper golfer with a slower swing speed. The club head on the Speedzone is massive, which definitely inspires confidence at address and when hitting off the tee.
The larger club face is also great news for off-centre hits and will ensure your drives stay straighter and lose less distancewhen you miss the sweet spot. The King Speedzone Xtreme also has dual weights in the sole and the back that ensures a little heavier club head. This helps a slow swing speed as it gathers speed on the downswing to ensure a high ball speed at impact.
Lastly, the King Speedzone Xtreme has an adjustable hosel with dynamic loft adjustment. It also comes with access to the Cobra Companion app where you can track each hit you make and see how you hit the ball with different lofts and adjustments. If you are constantly learning and suspect that you’ll have faster swing speeds in the future, go for this club.
- CNC Milled Infinity Face-The Power Zone-The face is the engine of the driver and foundation for speed.
- Titanium Speed Chassis-The Strength Zone-A Newly designed T-Bar Speed Chassis is lighter and stronger to withstand high speed collisions and deliver excellent stability and feel.
- 360 Carbon Wrap Crown-The Light Zone-A 360 Carbon wrap crown covers 50% of the club body, adding stiffness to the chassis while saving 25 grams of discretionary weight that we moved low, back, and to the perimeter.
- Speed back Weighting-The LOW CG Zone-69 grams of mass is positioned as low as possible, creating the most efficient transfer of energy to the ball and speed that you can relish every time you step on the tee.
- Speed back Shape-The Aero Zone-A streamlined shape with milled perimeter leading edges harness airflow with ultimate precision for maximum acceleration power.
Wilson Launch Pad 2
Best Budget Driver for Slow Swing Speeds
- Lightweight driver head and Evenflow shaft
- Brand new PKR face technology which delivers fast ball speeds
- Budget-friendly for golfers not wanting to spend a huge amount. of money
Some golfers, even beginners, may find this club just a little too light when swinging. I would recommend testing it out in store to see if the weight of the club bothers you or not.
Although Wilson isn’t as flashy of a brand as TaylorMade and Callaway, it still packs a punch with its brand new Launch Pad 2. The Launch Pad 2 is a game-improvement driver that is very forgiving and very fast.
It has an inherent draw bias built in to help beginner golfers offset the slice and allow them to hit the ball straighter and with more accuracy. There is also brand new PKR face technology built in that helps to deliver fast ball speeds across the entire face. This means that even with a slow swing speed, the ball will explode off the face for maximum distance.
Having one of the lightest heads on the market, coupled with a lightweight Evenflow shaft, this driver is one of the easiest and most forgiving options on the market. It also helps that it is very inexpensive, which is why it is my choice for the best budget driver for slow swing speeds.
- Wilson Staff 2022 Launch Pad Driver Golf Club – Men’s Right Handed, Graphite, Regular Flex, 10.5 Loft
- SOLVE THE SLICE: An inherent draw bias helps players overcome one of the most frustrating problems in golf, so shots fly straighter and with more accuracy.
- FORGIVING YET FAST: Advanced computer modeling results in a tour-proven face geometry that delivers faster ball speeds, everywhere.
- DISTANCE MADE EASY: One of the lightest drivers on the market, coupled with a lightweight Evenflow shaft means effortless swing speed for all types of players.
Cleveland Turbo Launcher
Best Driver for Seniors
- Turbocharged face allows for maximum distance off the tee as well as higher launch angles
- Large sweet spot
- Great for slow swing speeds
The one key drawback to this driver would probably be that it is not adjustable in any way. Other clubs on the market do allow you to adjust the loft.
The Cleveland Turbo Launcher is one of the best drivers for senior golfers when it comes to extra forgiveness. The large sweet spot with the easy to hit clubhead makes a really great combination of performance. As you get older, your swing speed definitely starts to decrease and that’s what makes this driver so great for seniors.
With the HiboreCrown that Cleveland adds to its club, the Turbo Launcher has a very low center of gravity. It comes stock with the Miyazaki Kuma lightweight shaft. The shaft is made specifically to work with this golf club, and it will lead to a very high MOI when swinging the Turbo Launcher.
This is one of the best golf for seniors because it allows plenty of distance while still focusing on keeping the golf ball in the fairway.
- Turbocharged cup face: The new turbocharged cup face, enhanced with a new variable face, provides higher COR over a larger impact area for increased ball speeds and more distance.
- HI bore Crown: The redesigned HI Bore Crown lowers the center-of-gravity (CG) by 2. 2mm, enabling a lower CG position for optimal launch conditions.
- Deep weighting: discretionary mass savings positioned for significant increases to MOI, delivering more speed.
- Ultralight hostel: external and internal weight reduction, redistributed low and deep for a higher launch and more forgiveness.
- Counter balanced shaft design: specifically designed for the launcher HB Turbo driver, the MIYAZAKI C. Kuma center of gravity is relocated higher toward the grip, enabling additional head mass for increased MOI.
Ping G425 MAX
Best Adjustable Driver for Beginners
- Ridgeback Technology helps provide more power on sweet spot hits
- Diamond Face allows for faster ball speeds at impact
- Rear weight to improve forgiveness
The G425 is a really nice driver, but it might compensate too much for subpar players. Plus, the moveable tungsten weight might be a bit confusing to new players.
The Ping G425 MAX has insane forgiveness packed into this club. It includes 26 grams of tungsten in a moveable weightthat allows you to compensate for any slice or hook your might have. The center of gravity can also be shifted to minimize spin and adjust for a draw or fade.
If you like an adjustable driver, the G425 has an adjustable hosel that can be set to eight different positions. The default Alta CB shaft that conects to the hosel includes 8 grams of weight at the end because it is so light. This allows you to add more momentum to your club head speed and get straighter ball flights.
Ping has designed the club face with artificial intelligence, to promote lots of ball speed and plenty of distance. This clubis perfect for an amateur golfer who needs an anti-slice driver for their bag. I also really like the sound at impact this clubmakes.
Tour Edge Exotics C721
Second Best Budget Club for Slow Swing Speeds
- Ridgeback Technology helps provide more power on sweet spot hits
- Diamond Face allows for faster ball speeds at impact
- Maximum distance and forgiveness at a budget-friendly price
I didn’t find any drawbacks here. The price is incredible for the features that are packed into it and each and every drive flew straight and far, even on mishits.
When it comes to name recognition on purchasing a driver, Tour Edge would probably be near the bottom of the list for most golfers. It is not a very well known company, however the Exotics C721 is definitely worth a look for golfers with a slow swing speed. As the company isn’t as flashy as other premium brands, neither is the price tag and that is why it makes this list.
The Exotics C721 Driver is built with Ridgeback Technology. This Ridgeback spine within the Carbon Fiber crown acts as a sort of brace, which will help golfers produce more power on hits off the sweet spot. It also allows for more forgiveness on mishits. The C721 driver has 19% more Carbon Fiber than any previous Tour Edge driver and the Centerof Gravity was lowered by 13% which helps with your launch angle.
This driver is also built with Diamond Face 2.0 Technology. The increase in Diamond Face coverage on the face helps dramatically in increasing ball speeds at impact and maximum forgiveness on mishits. With these features, and at this price, you can’t go wrong with trying this club out.
- Tour Edge Exotics C721
- Tour Edge engineers designed Ridgeback to replace extra Titanium from the crown and sole with wrap-around Carbon Wings, which saves considerable weight and leads to an optimal low-rearward CG position that produces an extremely high M.O.I. to increase stability at impact. The C721 Driver employs 19% more Carbon Fiber than any previous Exotics driver and the CG was lowered by 13% to improve launch characteristics.
- There are 43 total diamond shapes featured on Diamond Face 2.0, comprising 7 different thicknesses in an interweaving pattern. This compares to the 3 different thicknesses used on the initial design. Face thickness of Diamond Face 2.0 at the extreme perimeters of the face is also reduced by 20%. The mini trampolines that make-up Diamond Face 2.0 create faster ball speeds and an expanded sweet spot. The result is dramatically increased ball speed and forgiveness on off-center hits.
- A 10-gram adjustable back weight is at the extreme rear of the clubhead to help position the perfected CG and to optimize the M.O.I. properties of the C721 clubhead.
- Five different Sound Diffusion Panels were placed strategically inside the club head vastly improving the acoustic properties of the clubhead.
Callaway Big Bertha B21
Most Forgiving Driver
- Lightweight design
- Jailbreak frame helps provide more ball speeds off impact for maximum distance
- Built-in draw bias which helps offset slice and make this very forgiving
Although Callaway advertises this as a low spin driver, it seemed to provide quite high spin rates. This wouldn’t bode well for slow swing speeds because more spin on the ball means less distance. With a slow swing speed you are looking for maximum distance off the tee.
The Callaway Big Bertha B21 is built for distance no matter if you have a fast or slow swing speed. It has a low and forward center of gravity for low spin. This is a feature found in a lot of more expensive modern drivers, so it’s nice to see it in the budget-friendly Big Bertha lineup.
The B21 has built-in draw bias weighting in the face so that you can hit a straight ball. Most amateurs will struggle with a slice off the tee, so draw bias is found in quite a few of the drivers pushed towards beginner golfers.
Another feature in the B21 is the jailbreak frame. These are two bars which connect the sole of the club to the crown to keep it solid at impact. This should give you plenty of ball speed at impact even with a slow swing. This feature will help out senior golfers especially.
- The Big Bertha B-21 Driver is designed for distance any way you swing it.
- To help eliminate your slice or big miss, we’ve created our first high launch driver with an ultra-low forward CG for low spin.
- The large Big Bertha head is specifically engineered with internal draw bias weighting to help improve your launch angles and promote a straighter, longer ball flight.
- We’ve advanced our A.I. designed Flash Face to promote fast ball speeds across a more expansive area.
- This face architecture requires extremely strong materials that are lighter and stronger than traditional titanium to promote optimal speed, forgiveness, and spin characteristics.
Callaway Mavrik Max
Best Oversized Clubhead
- Adjustable weight sole and hosel
- Large clubhead allows for maximum distance with a slow swing speed
- Very easy to hit and also price-friendly
I didn’t find a whole lot of drawbacks with this driver. Try it out before buying because the color of the head may throw you off a little bit.
If your one of the Callaway brand fans, you would be delighted with the Mavrik Max driver. It has an adjustable weightsole and you can also adjust its head to change the loft and lie. This can increase the MOI for a draw-biased that can help slicers straighten their shots. Being able to adjust the hosel is great for beginners who aren’t quite sure what loft is best for them.
The Mavrik Max golf driver has a 460cc clubhead. The large clubhead size makes it very to hit and will give you good ball flight. It has an adjustable weight, so you can adjust if you are not satisfied with your drives’ height and spin.
What makes this driver stand out from the previous model?
The Callaway Mavrik standard is more forgiving. The adjustable weighting will give you more stability. This is all great for slow swing speeds as the clubhead will offer ball speed at impact to give you that little more distance.
The Mavrik has been recently replaced by the Rogue ST, so it is also a nice discount for those that want a discount Callaway driver.
- The new face architecture required FS2S titanium, an extremely strong material that’s 6 grams lighter than traditional titanium to promote optimal speed, forgiveness, and spin robustness.
- Two internal Jailbreak bars connect the sole and crown to promote fast ball speed, and the significantly lighter carbon crown allows us to redistribute weight for higher MOI.
- We also used A. I. to design a sophisticated internal titanium rib system that fine-tunes the head to produce a deeper, highly satisfying sound.
- Included Components: Golf Club, Headcover
What is a Slow Swing Speed?
A slow swing speed in golf is a swing speed measured to be 90 miles per hour or less.
When you start golfing or as you get older, your swing speed will be slower than at your peak. In this case, you need to make sure that your golf clubs and golf ball are optimized for your swing.
Above, I have compiled the above list for golfers that want to keep maximum distance and forgiveness off the tee even with a slower swing. Golfers with a high swing speed won’t benefit as much from these drivers. A higher swing speed results in higher spin, which will take distance away.
Try out a few of the drivers to see what works best with your swing type.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What golf shaft is best for a slow swing speed?
A flex shaft offers a better flex than a stiff shaft because they allow slower players to maximize their clubhead speedduring the downswing and get a bit of extra distance. I also recommend a graphite shaft, which is a little bit of a lighter shaft that is easier to control.
If you think you have the wrong setup for your club, you can purchase an aftermarket shaft that is fitted to your swing style.
How can I find out my golf swing speed?
The most common way to find out your swing speed by using a golf launch monitor such as the Flightscope Mevo. Take your launch monitor out to the driving range or buy yourself a hitting net for your backyard. The Mevo will measure a number of variables about your swing, including your swing speed in miles per hour.
What loft is the best for a slower swinging golfer?
For drivers, higher degrees of loft such as a 12-degree driver is recommended. This will help players get the ball up into the air more easily. If you are a little bit more experienced and an average golfer, I recommend going with a standard 10.5 degree driver. New technology advancements will still allow you to get launch.
Some new golfers who are just starting out will find better success with a higher loft club such as the 3-wood or 5-wood. Consider putting your Driver in your bag and seeing what happens.
What swing speed is considered low?
A swing speed of under 90 mph is considered slow. At this speed, buying golf clubs that assist you getting more clubhead speed and launch is a good idea.
Can golf swings be too slow?
Yes, if you swing too slowly, you will not develop enough clubhead speed to hit the ball a long way. Slower swingersshould consider taking an online golf course or lessons for improvement.
What golf ball is good for a slow swing speed?
Golf balls like the Callaway Supersoft, TaylorMade Distance+, and the Titleist TruFeel are designed specifically for slower swing speeds. These balls feature dimples that are larger and deeper than other types of golf balls.
You can read the guide of the best golf balls for beginners for more information.
If you are a player with less than average swing speeds, it is important that you buy a driver with plenty of forgiveness, a big sweet spot, and technology that can increase speed on the downswing. An adjustable driver and a flexible shaft can also help you hit straighter shots further.
In this guide, I’ve gone over plenty of options at all different price points. These drivers will improve your ball flight and help you get noticeable performance gains.
If you would recommend a different driver, comment down below and let us know!
Last update on 2022-10-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API